Thursday, December 20, 2012

final portfolio

Sela Leng
Part 1- Revisions.
Choose one of the writing assignments you have done this semester and revise it. This should be emailed AND posted to your blog.

We've been studying stories written about life in war-torn countries and countries with incredibly corrupt political structures. Do you think the U.S. government is corrupt? Is it more or less corrupt than the governments in the other countries we've studied -- countries where genocide and child slavery are the norm rather than the exception? What do you think is the function of the ideal government? 

The U.S. government may be corrupted, although it is not as corrupted than most countries. Life in U.S. could never be compared to the amount of corruption in war-torn countries, because their political structures could care less about their people and rules. The U.S. does not allow genocide or child slavery while other corrupted countries does. I think that there is no ideal government, if there was they would only serve one function, and one function only- to protect our liberty, not take it away. An ideal government would strive for love and peace, not war and fear.





Part 2 - Reflection
You will write a short essay answering the following question - how did reading the book Say You're One of Them change you? What did you learn from it and do you feel that reading it was worth your time? This essay should be 1 page long. This should be emailed AND posted to your blog along with your revision

Reading, “Say You’re one of them” by Akpan. The book changed my views the way I look at life. Life is short and anything could happen if you work hard for it.  I am glad to say, I got the liberties of living as an American citizens. In American, I would have freedom and free will with any decisions making I want under any circumstances, unlike the characters in Akpan stories.  I learn many things from the book; one of them would be fear, to overcome fear you must fight against it with braveness with the support of loves one. While I was reading, every page informed me with information that is either shocking or makes you feel to appreciate what you got. The reading was worth every seconds of my time, because this book was based on a true story. If I did not read the book, I think I would never know what it is like outside American or how one life could be so terrible then what I got as an American citizen.  Another example that I learn from this book includes family and food. Family is very important they could be a lifesaver, whatever danger you might be in and no one to run to. To a keep a person alive you must feed it with food and if you are starving to death, you would do anything for food. I learn that to never treat a family member bad or get angry with them and always finish all your food off the plate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment